- During the war many people died.
- Avrahom was worried that there must have been at least one person amongst
them who feared G-D.
- During the battle one of them might have pondered the truth and realized
there was one unified controlling force instead of the many angles and
deities they worshiped.
- When someone is about to die they see the truth clearer.
- If this was the case it would wipe away much of his merits.
- Only Avrahom had to worry about this since he was so busy with chesed.
- Meaning if you’re busy with Din you don’t have to worry
about details. If you have to fight a war, innocent people will get killed.-
This is also why he was worried about such a harsh punishment.
- With Din punishments are exact, measure per measure, with chesed there
is no concept of holding back.